Sunday 17 April 2011

A bad month for....

It’s been a bad month for rhubarb, strawberries, spinach and parsley.  My partner Tony has just been diagnosed with kidney stones and these are all at the top of his ‘Not to Eat’ list from the doctor.
Not only am I left with an abundance of forced rhubarb and the problem with what to do with it all, but also the vague disquiet that the many years of serving up rhubarb crumbles and compotes may in some way have contributed to Tony’s quite agonising condition.  And although I can still enjoy  these dishes,  it’s somehow not quite  the same.  I used to feel quite virtuous about not only enjoying the fruits of my labour, but also eating healthily as well, but if it is having the opposite effect, I somehow feel cheated.   
I don’t have to start digging up the allotment beds quite just yet though.  The doctors have taken samples and are currently analysing exactly what the kidney stones are made of.  So maybe there is another cause.  In the meantime, my office colleagues are enjoying rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment