Sunday 13 March 2011

Robin Red Breast


They say that robins are a gardener’s best friend and it certainly seems to be the case on our allotment as there’s always one to keep me company while I’m weeding.  They are on the look-out for worms and insects, of course, studying the soil intently for any fat offering as I fork the soil over, flying in so close when they see one that their wings almost brush my face.  I often think it’s not just the food they’re after, but a bit of a game as well. 
We used to get wild parakeets here as well, which looked really surreal when you looked up and saw them sitting in the cherry tree.  I still spot the occasional one in Richmond, but I haven’t seen any on the allotment for a couple of years now.  I think maybe the last two cold winters might have cut their numbers.  There are a range of theories about the arrival of parakeets to Surrey – some say they escaped from a container at Heathrow airport; that they were released from aviaries damaged during the great storm of 1987 and that Jimi Hendrix brought them to the area to make a film.  Whatever the theory, it would be nice to see them back here again as they certainly add a bit of exotica to the borders!
The soil is full of worms today and the robin gets his fill.  So I guess this means the soil is in reasonable condition, but it is very heavy clay and after the rain of the weekend is terribly hard to weed – you have to bend down to prise out the weeds one by one from the huge claggy clods of earth.  According to perceived garden wisdom, I guess I shouldn’t be treading on the earth at all, but it’s so hard to weed a big bed by standing on a board.  I’m still working in lime across the plot and will leave it for a month and then add some compost.  Hopefully this will improve the soil a little more and generate better veg this year. The rhubarb doesn’t need any help though, it’s doing wonders.  Picked another four stalks today – made a mistake last weekend as I thought it was so tender that it wouldn’t need any sugar.  How wrong was that!
I also sowed a few more seeds – beetroot, celeriac and rocket. I promised myself I wouldn’t sow so much this year but would take the easier route and buy plugs from the garden centre, but I think I’m a bit addicted!  Well, I guess there’s worse things to get addicted to....

No comments:

Post a Comment